Today, I started packing for my trip to see my FOO, DH’s FOO and N friends and good friends (thank you for them). As I looked at the weather forecast for the places I will be visiting, I realised that it is exceptionally cold this time of year. I got a little panicky as I’m not used to this weather anymore nor do I own a heavy duty winter coat.
As I started fitting my stuff into my suitcase, I realised my packing habits have changed over the years. Instead of being worried about my clothing for cold and snow I worry more about if I’m mentally ready for the visit.
Packing for a visit to see family and friends that are dysfunctional (near or far) seems to involve some extra thought. It got me wondering:
how do you pack for a visit or what do you take with you when seeing your dysfunctional family and/or friends?
List of extras I’m bringing:
1. Notebook. I take this notebook most places with me today, I carry it in my purse. It’s a place to jot down my thoughts or ideas and remember how I handled difficult situations. I started this about a year ago and I’ll have to purchase a new one soon!
2. Workout Stuff. It’s my escape at home so taking part of my normal routine with me.
3. Relax time. I did schedule a hair appointment. I think that will help. I’m also reading a fun book, no self-help to read before bed.
4. Fantastic pair of shoes. I don’t know why but when I wear a great pair of shoes I feel better. Often (because of the cold), I pack appropriate shoes for the weather and they never look fantastic. So for all the dinners and get togethers I’m wearing one of my favourite pair (and I’ll keep the bulky comfortable ones nearby 😉 ).
5. Narrowed it down. I believe I’m made good progress this year and some of the things I’ve learned are not quite at my disposal yet and often I tend to make the need to practice overwhelming and stressful. So I narrowed it down to one thing this year. Listening. Even to the ones who behave narcissistically. I have a bad habit even when I’m deliberately trying to be silent of tuning out. This doesn’t help when I want to speak up about something. I need to listen better. Listen and Pause.
Wishing you a Happy New Year!